Grilled Avocado And Kale Chopped Salad
For the citrus pickled onions
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- pinch of sea salt
For the chile-lime walnuts
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili and lime seasoning
- 1 tsp flaky or coarse sea salt
For the avocados
- 3 avocados, sliced in half and pit removed
- olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Assemble the salad
- 2 packages Taylor Farms Kale Chopped Salad Kit (omit the crouton packet if gluten free)
- 1 cup tomatoes, halved
- 1 batch citrus pickled onions (optional)
- 6 grilled avocado halves
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
Prep the citrus pickled onions
Place the sliced onions in a shallow bowl, pour the lime over the onions and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir well then let marinate for at least 20 minutes then drain the liquid.
Roast the walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the walnuts onto the prepared baking sheet and toss with olive oil, seasoning and sea salt. Roast in the oven 5-8 minutes stirring once.
Grill the avocados
- Lightly oil a grill pan and place it over medium heat.
- Brush the avocado halves lightly with olive oil and drizzle with the lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Place the avocados flesh side down on the preheated grill and cook for 5 minutes, or until they have nice dark grill marks. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Assemble the salad
- Arrange the Taylor Farms Kale Chopped Salad greens on a large platter. Sprinkle the cheese, tomato halves and pickled onions over the top.
- Nestle the avocado halves into the salad and place the lemon wedges around the outside of the platter.
- Serve immediately with the lemon vinaigrette from the salad kit.
This recipe originally appeared on Beard + Bonnet.