Five Onion Tart with Rocket Salad
Tart Crust (or buy a already made one)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5-6 tbsp ice water
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chives, minced
- 4 cups Taylor Farms Mediterranean Rocket
- olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1/2 cup chives
- 2 shallots
If you wish to make the crust:
- By hand or by pulsing in food processor cut butter into the flour until they are pea sized. Add salt and ice water one tbsp at a time pulsing or mixing until dough just starts to come together. Be careful not to over mix. Using your hands form a ball with the dough, wrap up in saran wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough in a circle until ¼” thick. Carefully press the dough into a tart pan, cutting away excess dough. Puncture dough with a fork a couple of times and chill for 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Fit a sheet of foil into the inside of the pie crust until crust is completely covered, using either pie weights or dry rice, fill the foiled area. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights and continue to bake for another 10 minutes, or until crust is just set.
To make the tart:
- Melt 4 tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp oil in large saucepan. Reduce heat to low and add onions, leeks, spring onions and shallots. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring often, until onions turn a golden brown color. This process should take about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, creme fraiche, salt, nutmeg, pepper and chives. Add onion mixture and stir until onions are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. Pour egg mixture into the pie crust and continue to bake for another 25-35 minutes or until eggs are set and the crust is golden brown.
- Just before serving toss rocket with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the salad to the top of the tart and serve.
- Tart can be made up to a day ahead. To warm up, cover and bake at 150°C until warmed through.